Mustard Seeds

Mustard Seeds

Monday, March 2, 2009

Musicals

So.... I tried out for a musical today. The Phantom Tollbooth. It is the first musical Cal Poly has done so I figured why not? Plus my friend Aubrea, an amazing actress, asked me if I would like to do it with her so I went along for the ride. The audition called for two contrasting pieces of music (16 bars each) so I sang parts of "I'm Not That Girl" from Wicked and "Deadwood Stage" from Calamity Jane. The singing was easy after practicing with Aubrea and having Jon teach me how to count out the measures. They even asked Aubrea and I to sing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star for them after the three in my group all sang. That made me feel better about it. =) I had no idea what I was getting myself into however... When we showed up today they gave us scripts for cold readings and told us we would be doing some form of dance/movement for the audition.

So cold readings. Being a COMS major helped a ton so I wasn't too nervous for that but that fact that I am not a actress showed next to the two girls I tried out with. And movement. That was very interesting but since we all thought it was strange I don't feel too bad about that. We had to act like we were being pulled and pushed through space using different parts of our body (at the same time). It was crazy. =)
Overall, I am so glad I did it. I find out tomorrow if I have a callback... which would also be tomorrow. The main thing that got me through the whole process was Jon's voice in my head telling me to just breath! and Jesus. He can use this experience however he wants but at least I gave him the opportunity to use me. If I hadn't tried out then I wouldn't even be giving God the chance to work through this musical. So it is in his hands which is wonderful! I'll let you all know what that means tomorrow! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment