Mustard Seeds

Mustard Seeds

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Kids Stuff

Now before you judge the picture hear me out. =) This is Cowie, beloved childhood companion and a close connection to home. You might be thinking... she is in college and still sleeping with a stuffed animal? The answer is no, he tends to just sit on my shelf. But after being with me every night for 17 years of my life Cowie could not be easily tossed aside. So I snuck him to school both last year and this year. My mom wanted to prevent this but a hug from this ridiculous cow makes me less homesick sometimes and he's worth it. =p

Anyway, this is not the point of me sharing all this with you. I pretty much just wanted to wonder aloud... Why do we attach ourselves to things like this? Whether you had a dog named fluffy or a blanket which you creatively named blankie, most kids have something of this sort. For my older sister it was a ballerina bear named Isabelle and my little sister has a blanket that we all used but only she attached to. My friends and I were talking about this the other day and I don't have an explanation for you but I think it's important. Having something that doesn't judge us and loves us unconditionally (I used to throw Cowie across the room when I got mad at my parents and he still 'loves' me), something we can take everywhere and talk about anything to and something we can attribute any personality we desire to and something we can keep long term is a big deal as a kid. Eventually we are able to fall asleep without such a companion near us but they still hold a special place in our lives. People start to take on all of these roles as we get older and I think things like Cowie are good transitions into this. I now talk to my friends and sisters about everything and enjoy dealing with the multifaceted personalities of people much more then the one dimensional personality that I created for my cow. I also realize more now that even though people (including myself) do not love unconditionally, God does. As I have gotten older (because we all know I am super old =p) I realize more that I can have a deep personal relationship with God that satisfies and does not disappoint. Sorry Cowie you have been replaced by something that is infinitely better. Done rambling.

3 comments:

  1. thanks for adding fluffy in :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. seriously, every time I check your blog there is a different background :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am just trying to keep you guessing...

    ReplyDelete