Mustard Seeds

Mustard Seeds

Thursday, September 24, 2009

After Our Yaught Caught on Fire

You know you watch too many survival shows when...

...you are in class explaining to your small group the pros and cons of keeping certain items from a fictional list in order to survive the longest on a raft, a thousand miles from land. For instance, we had to rate fifteen items in order of importance for survival and one of those items was 20 square feet of opaque tarp. Useful? They said no. I argued that with only 5 gallons of water for our whole crew it was crucial to have tarp. I went on to explain how to construct a water purifier from this by making a cone (or two, there was a lot of tarp) and placing a bucket of salt water underneath. The sun would then evaporate the water, leaving you with salt in the center and fresh water condensing on the inside of the cone. The water would then run off into the folded edges of the tarp and pool there for drinking. How do I know this? No clue. Dorky? Maybe.
I also had to explain how it was illogical to bring the map with us without the sexton. No one knew what a sexton was in any of the groups around me, which made me feel way over-prepared for class and for living on land. So we put the sexton as number six in importance and the map as seven. We naturally needed to know where we were in the ocean before we could use the map.
Needless to say, I felt very prepared to marry my future husband, Bear Grylls.

15 comments:

  1. stephanie grylls. it has a nice ring to it. and you could have the wedding in the woods!! and us bridesmaids would wear earth colored dresses and the cake would be decorated with edible sticks and leaves and stuff. and then we would party in the woods til early in the morning, when you and bear would trek into the woods for your 2 week backpacking honeymoon! you would already have your hiking boots, because you wore them in the wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. What class is this for?
    2. How in the world do you know all this?
    3. I officially want you with me if I am ever stranded in the middle of the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Communication Research Methods (it applied somehow)
    2. No idea really but I feel sort of proud that I know it.
    3. Glad to hear it! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura, I have no idea how to even begin responding to that... haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. just admit that i should be a wedding planner for themed weddings. haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. okay, don't freak out steph but parts of laura's wedding picture actually sound pretty dead on to what you would like. the toned down version:
    You have your wedding take place in a meadow in Tahoe. All the bridesmaids are wearing brown or green dresses. the cake would have pretty leaves on it (you might leave out the edible sticks) and you would leave right afterwards for a backpacking honeymoon. and of course you would want to wear your hiking boots! ok...you might leave that part out as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha to be honest it does sound really cool! =) haha I would wear toms though! I like edible sticks for the cake. I can picture a really pretty cake with flowers and sticks and leaves made from fondant...
    And green dresses would be so cool... and if they were brown you could wear them again!
    and a backpacking honeymoon would be sweet but I am thinking that would be a vacation later on in our marriage. But maybe we could hike to a secluded cabin with showers and electricity and such =P

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you! yay edible sticks!! you can thank me for my brilliance later.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, and i like the meadow in tahoe idea caitlin! steph should totally have us plan her wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  10. too bad Bear is already married. I've checked in to these things on account of, I love him.

    Also, check out that cake!! http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2575/3798966183_b3cd1d5444.jpg

    (hopefully that works)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dang it Lindsey! Your crushed all of my hopes and dreams!

    SWEET cake though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. yeah I know, I feel your pain. He's a christian too. So basically he's totally perfect. But also totally married with kids.

    On an unrelated note, I hear you're in lisa's growth group now! It's the best. I wish you went before I left! I went on Monday because I was in town and lisa said you were going to start coming :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Darn... well best of luck to him and his family. haha

    Yeah I was going to go and I was stoked but worship practice for crusade is on Monday now and I can't. =( There might be a change in practice times but for now I once again am foiled in my attempts to go...

    ReplyDelete