Mustard Seeds

Mustard Seeds

Friday, September 11, 2009

Near Sinking Experience

So our little unit (Dad, Amanda, Kimberly, Me, Paige (Kimbo's friend), Laura, and Danny) decided to visit the fam in Boulder City a couple weeks ago. Normal summer routine for us but our first lake day was not so normal. We got on the lake in the morning accompanied by some wind and not so nice looking clouds. No big deal right? It was still warm and by the wall the water was for the most part glassy. So we boarded and tubed and had a grand ole time. After leaving Danny's boat in my Aunt's slip we decided to boat across the lake to park in a cove, eat lunch and snorkel. It was pretty much uneventful apart from the huge random wave that completely enveloped our boat and left us drenched and the Bimini dripping more water on us. We all laughed till our sides hurt and talked about it in extensive detail for the next hour. Snorkeling only revealed a handful of fish and reminded me that I really want my scuba diving license. After a while we needed to head back, despite the fact that the wind had majorly picked up.

Take one: We almost got swamped and the bilge pump was not working well enough. So we were bailing water with buckets and towels and basically all wondering how we had gotten into this mess. So we turned back to the cove to figure out a plan. A guy in a fountain boat (see picture of one below, this visual will be handy later) offered to take some people back to make the boat lighter but we declined and my uncle went for try two. Quick side note: the lake consisted of 8 foot swells at this point.


Take Two: We got about two miles out into the middle of the lake this time. But that does not mean it was any easier. We went about 3 miles an hour if that and we were bailing water and shoving it towards the back water pump the whole time. These small two miles took us a few hours with the waves crashing over and into the boat the whole time. I think I was mostly laughing to myself and holding Laura's arm during this whole process because well, there was nothing else to do. It was so ridiculous; we all had life jackets on, my dad was cracking jokes the whole time, we were absolutely freezing, and Amanda had her huge expensive Cannon on the water logged boat as well as every electronic device I own minus my laptop. My cousin was making comments like, "Mom, why do you always put me in dangerous situations?" and saying the S word every few minutes. My aunt was falling all over the place trying to keep the water out of the boat and at one point my dad was in the front of the boat (it is a flat bottom boat) trying to fend off the waves with a plastic tub. Plus Kimberly and her friend were using towels to sop water out of the bottom (we were a few feet deep with water at some points). So with all of these crazy people fending off the lake we thought we would eventually make it to the dock. Wrong. Right when we had got into the groove of things the engine stopped. So instead of everyone piling in the back to put weight in the back of the boat they send us all into the front. Low and behold the engine was flooded in two feet of water and we are stranded. Even combining all of my Dad, Danny and my Uncle Greg's knowledge of boats we were still stuck.
So I started a prayer circle with Laura, Paige and Kimberly. It was all we could do to help the situation and really the only thing we needed. God was in control. When we stopped praying, we prayed some more. And then when we ended the second time... help came! The fountain boat guy, being in such a large speed boat, was cutting through the waves easy peasy (you can see how eight foot waves would not bother a boat like the one above). So he unhooked his jet skies, sent them off with two of his friends, and then hooked our boat up and drove us home. WE made it to dock with our broken boat a little while later and let me tell you. Land, a shower, and warm food never tasted so good. =) The boat is a few hundred to fix but we are all safe and have a sweet story to tell of God providing in a storm. He likes to work that way a lot I am thinking. =)

1 comment:

  1. Dude what kind of lake has 8' swells?? Thats crazy! Leave it to the parents to sink the boat of course; the only time our boat ever flooded like that was when my dad was trying to knock me off the front :P

    ReplyDelete