Mustard Seeds

Mustard Seeds

Saturday, October 3, 2009

Learning Through Boredom

"Since scheduling by its very nature selects what will and will not be perceived and attended and permits only a limited number of events in a given period, what gets scheduled in or out constitutes a system for setting priorities for both people and functions. Important things are taken up first and allotted the most time; unimportant things are left to last or omitted if time runs out." - Edward T. Hall,  "Beyond Culture"

I am in a class this quarter called Intercultural Communication and while I am not enjoying it as much as I thought I would, it is an interesting class. My reading for this next Monday consisted of reading two chapters in the book I quoted above. It was a very boring and uninteresting read but I labored through it (at least I am reading my school assignments for once right?). I was nearing the end when the above quote popped out at me. What do I tend to omit from my schedule and what do I always keep and allot time to? The answer was not good. The things that take up the majority of my schedule are sleep, my two jobs, TV, alone (me) time and a plethora of other things. The negative aspect of this is that the things that get cut are my quiet times with Jesus, my prep time for bible study, and the prayer times I always intend (intending is as close as I get) to have. These things are not unimportant! In fact they are the most important things in my life and I omitt them as if they are unworthy of my time and cuttable (new word) from my schedule when they should be unmoveable if I prioritized correctly. Leave it to God to teach me something even while I am prioritizing school over him =)...What are you giving time to?

No comments:

Post a Comment