Mustard Seeds

Mustard Seeds

Sunday, January 31, 2010

For the Good

This verse popped in my head yesterday and I had to stop and think of what it really meant because I honestly never have.
"And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose" - Romans 8:28

1. It says "to those who LOVE God." What evidence do I have in my life that I love the Lord? That I truly love him and desire to express that love by obeying him? It's harder to answer then I thought.
2. This verse also says "ALL things." This makes more sense in the context of the chapter (I encourage you to read all of chapter 8. It might spark questions but it will be worthwhile to seek answers to them) but it does not say "happy things" or "easy things." It says God will use all things and looking at the chapter that could mean persecution and suffering. John Piper writes, "That’s why Romans 8:28 is here. We need encouragement and hope because before and after this verse the prospect of the Christian life on this earth is bleak." There is persecution, there are enemies, and there are hardships. But these things will not defeat us. Because of the Love of Christ we will be more then conquerors. Piper also writes that "if you receive from [God] the free gift of righteousness by faith alone; then all things - from the sweetest to the most severe and bitter and painful - will work together for your good. God will be for you with all of his omnipotent wisdom and power. And if God is for you, no one can successfully be against you." If that is not encouraging I don't know what is.

Romans 8:31 "What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who is against us"

No comments:

Post a Comment