Mustard Seeds

Mustard Seeds

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Gent and Lady Purity

Before Writing: I decided that in my large repertoire of relationship knowledge I would write about dating. Ok... so maybe I am severely lacking first hand experience but heck, I love observing people and that has to count for something right? I don't know where I am going with this exactly, so I probably edit up a storm at the end, but here are some of my thoughts when it comes to God and relationships. (open for discussion)

After Writing: After finishing I realized I pretty much just talked about purity. So here you have it:

Going off of the theme of men taking the lead... they also need to take the leadership role in establishing boundaries of purity. (Women, this by no means exempts you from praying about the boundaries you want to have and sticking to those.) But men, you need to initiate this conversation. It should not be left to the girl to bring up the need for setting boundaries. And I really don't want to hear from the men, "It's up to you. You let me know when we have gone too far." Heck no! =)

For both girls and guys, don't be afraid to make detailed boundaries including: the amount of time you spend together, how late at night you hang out together (bringing back the curfew =), how often you are alone and where, what is acceptable behavior and what is going too far, etc. The strictness (is this even a word?) of these contracts are good to consider too. We are human and we make mistakes. So naturally the things you set for yourselves are not going to be followed perfectly. So in my logic, the stricter and more detailed you make them the safer you are if you happen to break them. My ideas for setting boundaries: Pray about them, be specific, include every aspect of your relationship, and be strict about the boundaries you set. Then keep them. Like I said, I've never been in a relationship so I can't speak for how hard purity is or if these crazy "purity contracts" are even possible. I would like to believe they are entirely possible.

When you think about it with a God-centered perspective, at least for me, it makes perfect sense that we should be as guarded as possible with our purity. Not only are we examples to everyone else in our relationships (believe me, people are watching how you date) but we are temples of the Lord. Our relationships are just one tangible way we can show God to people: 

1 Corinthians 6:18-20 "Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a man commits are outside his body, but he who sins sexually sins against his own body. Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body"

There are so many other verses that speak on purity and living in a way that is glorifying to the Lord. Here are a few. Feel free to read them and look them up in more context:

1 Thessalonians 4:3+4 "It is God's will that you should be sanctified: that you should avoid sexual immorality; that each of you should learn to control his own body in a way that is holy and honorable." 

1 Peter 5:8 "Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour."

Proverbs 4:23-27 "Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life. Put away perversity from your mouth; keep corrupt talk far from your lips. Let your eyes look straight ahead, fix your gaze directly before you. Make level paths for your feet and take only ways that are firm. Do not swerve to the right or the left; keep your foot from evil." 

1 Timothy 5:1-2 “[…] Treat younger men as brothers, older women as mothers, and younger women as sisters, with absolute purity" 

1 Cor. 10:13 "No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it."  (Makes me think that we don't have excuses to live outside God's will for us.) 

Psalm 119:9 "How can a young man [or woman] keep his way pure? By living according to your word"

1 comment:

  1. 1 Peter 5:8 "Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour."

    i like this verse because it reminds me that i am constantly in danger of being attacked and i can never let me guard down.

    i total like that you said about boundaries. i have a couple sets of friends who are dating and have set boundaries in their lives. one of my friends and his girlfriend have set their boundaries, they talked about what they wanted to do and not to do. but they set detailed guide lines about where and where not they want to go. i have to agree i have no personal experience, but seeing couples like them gives me hope.

    great verses.

    ReplyDelete