Mustard Seeds

Mustard Seeds

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Honesty - Day Four

Technically it is day five of this honesty thing but I am going to assume an hour doesn't matter to you. =)

Today I realized that I love holding grudges. For some reason it is just one more thing that seems comfortable to me. I can understand the world of pity parties, grudges, pet peeves, over stressing about life, and putting people down. I have lived there before and often revert back to it. It feels good to be cynical, or so I tell myself. In reality however, it makes me miserable and makes everyone around me miserable. God has been pointing out to me even more lately how these sins in my thought life are pretty prevalent, too prevalent. And because they are so common in my thoughts, my actions and words naturally mimic my inner ideas. I feel like it is so much easier to tear someone down then it is to build them up. But it is so much more important that we do encourage one another... besides this speaks better for you then trying to make yourself look better by making people around you seem worse.

This verse has always challenged me in this and God likes to remind me of it often:

Ephesians 4:29 "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."

It all starts with my attitude. It is easy for me to be cynical and a lot of the time I don't want to change my negative attitude. I just want people to do things the way I want them to be done because I think the world revolves around me. Shallow and horrible I know. But it's honest. I guess today's challenge for me was to be more loving, accepting, go with the flow, and selfless. A lot of very hard things.

No comments:

Post a Comment