Mustard Seeds

Mustard Seeds

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Singleness in Perspective

A dear friend of mine sent me this article:
Singled Out by God for Good by Paige Benton Brown


It is FULL of wisdom, truth, and crazy awesome perspective. Here is one great section:

"God will not be less good to me because God cannot be less good to me. It is a cosmic impossibility for God to shortchange any of his children. God can no more live in me apart from the perfect fullness of his goodness and grace than I can live in Nashville and not be white. If he fluctuated one quark in his goodness, he would cease to be God.

Warped theology is at the heart of attempts to "explain" singleness:
  • "As soon as you’re satisfied with God alone, he’ll bring someone special into your life”—as though God’s blessings are ever earned by our contentment.
  • "You’re too picky”—as though God is frustrated by our fickle whims and needs broader parameters in which to work.
  • "Before you can marry someone wonderful, the Lord has to make you someone wonderful"—as though God grants marriage as a second blessing to the satisfactorily sanctified.
Accepting singleness, whether temporary or permanent, does not hinge on speculation about answers God has not given to our list of whys, but rather on celebration of the life he has given. I am not single because I am too spiritually unstable to possibly deserve a husband, nor because I am too spiritually mature to possibly need one. I am single because God is so abundantly good to me, because this is his best for me. It is a cosmic impossibility that anything could be better for me right now than being single, The psalmists confirm that I should not want, I shall not want, because no good thing will God withhold from me."

2 comments:

  1. True to my word I do read your blog. haha :). This is actually a topic I have thought about a lot and I wanted to just share my comments.

    I don't think I agree with point #3. I believe it is making an improper generalization. I think it is easier to do the work of the Lord when you are single. I am fairly certain that the Bible takes that position.

    Not that you can't do the work of the Lord when you are married but God calls a husband and wife to be sensitive to each others needs submitting first to God and then to one another. By being single you are able to forgo your responsibilities toward a partner and allow God to take even greater control of your physical being and its resulting spiritual intimacy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah that makes total sense. And I completely agree. Paul repeatedly talks about singleness being better then marriage. I think I just read it in the context of we don't need to be emotional martyrs because God will stand in for what is missing. so we can do our most effective ministry as singles, we just don't need to be martyrs when doing it because a b/f wouldn't solve anything.

    basically, I didn't read it correctly and took it with my own spin, ignoring the falsities. haha and didn't think about it much. I'm gunna delete it. =)Thank you for pointing that out!!!

    ReplyDelete