Mustard Seeds

Mustard Seeds

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Seeds, Buttons, and Calico

I was reflecting back last night and realized that I love lists. Not just making lists of things I have to do. No, it is a love affair far deeper then the necessity to be organized. I have always loved groups of things. Descriptive lists of someone's surroundings, of the contents of a box, of the items someone needs at the grocery store. Think I am weird? Just wait, it gets worse.

Even back in elementary school when my mom and I would read Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder I loved the lists of the foods in the meat shed, items in the town store, and of the types of buttons in Ma's sewing box. Here is an example: "Pa told them all about the seeds. He had got seeds of turnips and carrots and onions and cabbage. He had got peas and beans. And corn and wheat and tobacco and the seed potatoes. And watermelon seeds" (276-272).

I have absolutely no idea why I love this because it is pretty odd. But I like the visual I get of all these seeds. Different sizes, shapes, and colors. So many tangible objects to thinks about. When Wilder would list the foods they had it would sound so wonderful even though I wouldn't eat half the things she was listing. I am sure a psychologist would try to pin point this to a lack of something in my childhood but I think my brain just works in this way. In visuals and lists.

Random fact about me. You're welcome.

2 comments:

  1. I'm EXACTLY the same way. I love listing out everything, from "Things I Have To Do" and "What I Need To Pack" to "What To Write About" and "Great Things To Do When Bored." I even have "Good Music" and "Things To Think About" lists. I find great comfort in the words and the various papers scattering my room. My mom says I've always been this way, and I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I am the same way... We are list buddies! =)

    ReplyDelete