Mustard Seeds

Mustard Seeds

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Key to my Heart

I recently had a conversation with the lovely Laura about the key to each of our hearts. It was so great to see that both of us know what gets to the heart of the other person. I will not share with you what our years of friendship have taught us about each other but let me just say there are certain things that make each of us melt. I doubt guy friends ever even think about this but as a girl it is comforting to know she knows me so well.

The reason I bring this up is because of a project of mine that started me thinking about keys. Two summers ago my friends and I were inspired by the connection the girls in The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants had through the sharing of one pair of jeans. We wanted to find a necklace that we could pass around snail mail style for the summer. Apparently this connection with an accessory cannot be forced however and we never found something we could all agree on. Near the end end of our search we finally found something we all liked, vintage keys, and wanted to turn one into a necklace. So we started bidding on keys on ebay. Unfortunately, being ebay newbs, we were outbid every time.We gave up when summer hit.

I recently decided that if we couldn't have one necklace to pass around I would make four so we could each have one. I bid on a ton of key sets and won a set of ten. I used ribbon and simple necklace clasps to make them into a necklace. I used simple slipknots for everything. Which sadly took me forever to figure out! haha So now we all have one... two years later. =)
You would be surprised how easy things are when you go to make them. Summer tip: try those projects you either didn't have time for or were too intimidated to try before.

No comments:

Post a Comment