Mustard Seeds

Mustard Seeds

Friday, September 3, 2010

Book Quote: A Tolkein Miscellany

I have been absent from my blog for a couple months now. This is particularly disappointing to me because I have spent my summer reading and I have a lot of cool quotes to share with you. I originally started weekly book quotes so I would be motivated to read but I guess reading has replaced blogging entirely! Here is a quote from my most current read, A Tolkien Miscellany by J.R.R. Tolkien (edited by his son Christopher).
Oliphaunt
"Grey as a mouse,

Big as a house,
Nose like a snake,
I make the earth shake,
As I tramp through the grass;
Trees crack as I pass.
With horns in my mouth
I walk in the South,
Flapping big ears.
Beyond count of years
I stump round and round,
Never lie on the ground,
Not even to die.
Oliphaunt am I,
Biggest of all,
Huge, old, and tall.
If ever you’d meet me
You wouldn’t forget me.
If you never do,
You won’t think I’m true;
But old Oliphaunt am I,
And I never lie."

This poem is definitely for LOTR fans... Samwise stated that this was a poem was traditional to the Shire but little did he know that he would one day encounter real Oliphaunts. =)

Other unquoted books I have read this summer:
The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkein












The Book Thief by Markus Zusak












When I Don't Desire God by Jon Piper












The Holy Way by Paula Huston

No comments:

Post a Comment