Mustard Seeds

Mustard Seeds

Friday, September 10, 2010

Book Quote: The Great Divorce

To preface this next book I thought a quote by C.S. Lewis would do nicely. Go figure. For those of you who have already read this book you are correct in thinking the quote is from the back cover. =)

"If we insist on keeping Hell (or even earth) we shall not see Heaven: if we accept Heaven we shall not be able to retain even the smallest and most intimate souvenirs of Hell."


And here is one of the quotes I loved from the book. It is also one of the only things I could quote without a lot of context and it still makes sense. =)

'"...no natural feelings are high or low, holy or unholy, in themselves. They are all holy when God's hand is on the rein. They all go bad when they are set up on their own and make themselves into false gods'" (100). 

This is so true of me. Love can turn into selfish gain, desire for others to do well can turn to jealousy, and desire can turn from God to lust. Without my eyes set on the Lord, my feelings are egotistical and damaging. I love how simply this quote shows that. As for the book in it's entirety it was really good! I read it in a couple hours and for the most part it was easy to follow. C.S. Lewis once again pulls through with an amazing visual of grace and joy.

1 comment:

  1. WOW you read it in a couple hours. i have to say you read way to fast. that is crazy. i just got the book the other weekeng but it has to wait its turn in line of things i want to read.
    nice.

    ReplyDelete