Mustard Seeds

Mustard Seeds

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Book Quote: The Picture of Dorian Gray

The Picture of Dorian Gray
by Oscar Wilde

"Better for him that each sin of his life had brought its sure, swift penalty along with it. There was purification in punishment. Not 'Forgive us our sins' but 'Smite us for our iniquities' should be the prayer of a man to a most just God" (226).
Good thing God has more than one quality. Because he is just and our sins do need to be punished. But God is amazingly gracious and loving. Like I so often have to remind myself, God gave me grace instead of death. Also, He does not punish unjustly or without cause. He disciplines those He loves. I am being refined by God's justice and cared for by His tenderness. It is such a comforting place to be.

 On a different note... I recommend this book with reservations. If you are anything like me I don't know if I would put it on my reading list. Here's why: I live and breath the books I read. Meaning, I become so engrossed in books that when the book is happy and light I feel more carefree. When the book is deep and theological I get very quiet and pensive on the days I read that book. When books are dark, heavy, and tenebrous I feel the weight of it on me. This was the case for Dorian Gray. It made me depressed when I was reading it (which is why I finished it so quickly) and I could barely handle the darkness and amount of evil in it. Granted, Wilde's wit was still very present and I  enjoyed reading between the lines in the book's dialogues but the wit was not light (I recommend his plays for that). It was instead a reflection of sin and lost innocence. The darkness of the humor made the weight of the book even heavier than it would have been should the sin of the characters not been joked about. The story is challenging, creative, and incredibly well written... it is just not the best for me. That being said, the last page of the book gave me chills and shocked me. It was that good of an ending. =)

1 comment: