Mustard Seeds

Mustard Seeds

Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Big Wide World... of Haiti?

Well... I am in the midst of writing my last college essay. I can't say it is my last essay ever though, since I enjoy writing so much, but it is the last essay a a teacher will tell me to write for a grade. After this paper I have one more final and I am officially graduated! (Unless Cal Poly sends me an apology letter telling me I am not actually graduated, which they sadly tend to do to people.)

The question I get now (and often) is what am I going to do with my life now that I am not a student? What does the "real world" have in store for Stephanie Johnson? My answer is often, "that is the question of the year and I have no idea."

This is true in the sense that I don't know what God has in store for me, but it is also a half truth in that I have some ideas of where I will be come next week. One, I will be in SLO till June and then in Haiti for a week. My life is so up in the air though that I don't even know what I am doing in Haiti this time. =) Two, I really really feel led to beekeeping. Part of me wants to just pack up and go to Haiti to help them with bees tomorrow! But the other part of me wants to gain experience so that I will actually have the knowledge I need to be of use to the Haitian people. I don't want to be some American person who goes over there and just gets in the way. But I am so impatient to be there, that thinking of waiting even a few years to gain experience makes me very frustrated.

The place I am at now is research mode. I have been researching beekeeping in Haiti, organizations that already exist there for this, what kinds of hives they have in Haiti, what materials they have at their disposal, and how I could even help. I am also researching jobs possibilities for me here in order to start gaining experience and knowledge. I am also learning Haitian Creole (very slowly). I am trying to not become stressed about the uncertainty and the waiting and so far I am doing ok. But I can feel the panic rising at times. =)
 Taken by: Melinda Bower

No comments:

Post a Comment