Mustard Seeds

Mustard Seeds

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Passion and Purity


I recently listened to a talk by Elizabeth Elliot (Sound familiar? She was married to the missionary who was murdered by the people he was trying to witness to, Jim Elliot. Elizabeth later went back and brought the village to Christ.) per recommendation of Loretta Lambert. It was a good suggestion and I now want to share with you some of what I gleaned from it. (Random fact about me: I dislike the word gleaned. But it fits here so I am going to use it.)

This summer I reached a point of true contentment with being single, and even though I have never struggled with singleness too much, it was freeing to see that God wants to use me for his kingdom whether or not I have a guy by my side. On that note, I still got a lot from this sermon about purity. Before you run away thinking this is going to sound like a purity seminar that you’ve heard fifty million times, please give it a chance.

First off she asked three questions all pertaining to the way we live our lives: What are you aiming at?, Who is your master?, and Whose are you?. In other words, we need to think about what our goals are and who we are serving in the attainment of those goals. Also, who are we giving our minds and bodies to when we try to reach our goals? Just keep these in mind because I think they are valid questions to be asking yourself whether it regards purity or any other aspect of your life.

What I really want to share with you all, especially those of you who read my blog that are not married, is that our purity is not a half sacrifice. Abraham was willing to fully sacrifice his son on the altar for the Lord and God brought a lamb in Isaac’s stead. Our commitment to purity is the same, it involves full surrender. Staying pure has glorious rewards in marriage. But we must not forget that in our lives there is the blood of Jesus, shed for sinners. God is in the business of repair for those who have made mistakes with their purity. Don’t be discouraged by the Devil, who is always after us, but rather put on your armor (Ephesians 6:10-18) and declare your freedom from sin in the Lord.

We CAN be strong in the Lord. And not even strong in the Lord till you are married five or ten years down the road. You only have to make it one day at a time, with your purity and in every other decision. God will give you the strength you need for each day as you trust in him.

Another quick tid-bit from the talk, that I think worthy of repeating, is that God doesn’t need dating or our searching to bring people together. Over long distances of space and time God will bring together who he wants to bring together. Don’t ever forget that God will work things for good in your life. You just have to be patient together with me. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment