Mustard Seeds

Mustard Seeds

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Digging In: 2 Corinthians 5:14-21

I started memorizing scripture this week using the "Topical Memory System" (given to me by my good friend Loretta). This book/card system gives you pre-printed, themed scripture cards to carry with you and it also recommends you read every verse in its full context first (which I love). I got so much out of it that I decided I am going to share my discoveries with you as I work through memorizing scripture.

I am calling it 'Digging In' for two reasons. One, because by sharing God's word with you we are digging deeper into the Bible together and two, because my blog is called mustard seeds. We can't plant mustard seeds of faith throughout our lives unless we prepare the soil first by digging into the word of God. So here we are... preparing our lives to be fruitful and faith filled for the Lord, together.

A couple notes: (1) I will be using the English Standard Version (ESV) of the bible for all of this, and that is all I ever use. (2) I am adding into this series whatever God shows me and how He applies it to my life, so I am keeping it open and honest. What God shows me in my time with this book, I am showing you on my blog. Unless He tells me His words at that time are only for me of course. =) So it begins...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Contextual Verses: 2nd Corinthians 5:14-21
Memory Verse: 2nd Corinthians 5:17 -- "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come."

Digging In: Take a look at verse 16. It says we are to regard every person as a spiritual being, seeing them for their relationship with God as either lost and in need of salvation or as a brother/sister in Christ. People are not just numbers, they are souls that need Jesus. This gives me a proper perspective on the world and those around me... salvation is the most important thing in people's lives. Over food, over shelter, over anything. In light of that verse 20 should be our plea and heart for the world, that they would all know and be reconciled to God with Christ's blood. Don't forget these verses, God's sacrifice, and your salvation!

My Meditations: When I understood God's grace in my life, I gained hope after being without it for years. I gained love in many places after feeling I had no one who loved me. And I gained perspective on myself, people in my life, and God where all I could see before was darkness. What a blessing that is and how often I forget about it. Help me Lord to see your beautiful hands in my life everyday. And help me to be a new creation and your hands in the lives around me everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment