Mustard Seeds

Mustard Seeds

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Working with Missions History


I love those moments when you realize you are a part of something bigger than yourself. When I realize that I am actually on the mission field working for God’s kingdom and because of our common vision am connected with missionary giants such as Jim Elliot and Hudson Taylor. Two times in the past month I have seen firsthand the fruit that continues to sprout because of the work they did in their time on earth.

While in Culiacan I had the privilege of working with Galo from I-tec, the company started by Jim Elliot’s son to help the indigenous peoples of Ecuador rely less on western aid. I got to see where Elliot’s sacrifice is now leading Ecuadorians to spread the gospel and aid to their own people. It was so exciting to be partnered with their ministry for a couple weeks.

Then this last week I was at the Biola Mission Conference with our ministry and I met Glenys from OMF International, the organization that was once called China Inland Mission. When she told me that at lunch one day I about fell out of my seat. Hudson Taylor’s vision is still alive in China and Asia through people like Glenys who left her home in England to live in Taiwan and China for over 15 years. We talked about Hudson Taylor a lot that day, since he is one of my heroes, and we had an amazing conversation about missions and working for the Lord. I was so encouraged by her and her stories and the time she spent talking with me. I was also excited to see how God took one man and formed a whole organization from his faithfulness that now reaches all of Asia. How small we are in the grand scheme of things but yet how powerful God can move if we are faithful to follow him. I need to remember that more often no matter where God sends me.

No comments:

Post a Comment