Mustard Seeds

Mustard Seeds

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mom Day

Mexico loves Mothers. No joke. On Wednesday (Mother's Day here was on Thursday) we spent hours cleaning, decorating, and cooking for a Mother's Day breakfast on Thursday. Then at midnight we went caroling to everyone's houses; waking moms up in the middle of the night to sing the traditional Mother's Day song and tell the moms how much we appreciate them. We started the night at Allison's house (one of our staff members) and ended the night with Carrie (our director's wife), pan dulce, and hot cocoa at 3 in the morning at Ventana. We then got up at 7am for the breakfast where we served 70 moms breakfast (tamales) and desert (banana splits). It was an awesome time, seeing some usually reserved kids crying and loving on their moms and being a part of such a cultural event.

Today is Mother's Day in the states and sadly I think I spent more time loving on the moms here than I ever have on my own mom on her holiday. Granted, my mom would not be happy to be woken up in the middle of the night to a mariachi band singing to her... but still...

I love you mom! And I have missed you a lot this week in the midst of all the festivities. You are such an incredible woman and such a rock in my life. Thank you for being a fighter this year with your open heart surgery and for being incredible no matter what is going on in my life. I could say so much more but I don't want to repeat myself with the card you will hopefully get in the mail tomorrow. Just know that I love you more than I could ever express in words. You are the peanut butter to my apples (I eat this daily so that's really important), the fabric to my quilt, the notions to my craft supplies, and the new doors to my totaled car. You complete my life, add so much to my character, and challenge and fix the parts about me that need you help. You are incredible! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment