Mustard Seeds

Mustard Seeds

Monday, October 15, 2012

The Weapon of Faithfulness

Last year I blogged about a spiritual attack we experienced the first week we were here. (there are two links to the two blog posts) I wrote how the experience was new for me and how Monique and I were unsure at first how to deal with the actual demonic presences that were in our room. I have come far in understanding God’s power through us and around us and so when the spiritual warfare of Ventana was made physical again this last week, I was frustrated more than scared of demons. But that was almost worse...

Ashley (my new wonderful roommate) decided to really take time to pray before she fell asleep one night last week. But while she was praying Satan attempted to stop her. She woke me up around midnight to ask if I heard a clicking noise. I became barely coherent enough to mumble no and fall back asleep. Then at 12:30 she woke me up again with a slightly frantic “Stephanie!” It reminded me so much of how Monique’s voice sounded last year that I woke up and knew something was amiss. She explained that she had been hearing a strange clicking noise and was scared. So we prayed. I was frustrated with Satan that I had to be up in the middle of the night dealing with his lame attempts to scare us and ruin our rest. So I refused to acknowledge anything real was happening. My thought being that if there were real demons in our room I would have to fully wake up, deal with it, and lose sleep. So in my self-centeredness I prayed for peace and protection from the Lord but I did not pray against anything in the room. If I had been scared I wouldn’t have treated the situation so lightly but would have run to the Lord for power to cast out whatever was pestering us. But I wasn’t scared, I was just super hot and irritable and listening to Satan tell me that I didn’t need to pray with power. 

It is no surprise that after I prayed Ashley was still scared and I was still awake. I started then to acknowledge that God was calling me to pray with strength against what were real demons in our room. He had been prompting me to be his voice that night and I was ignoring Him. So I eventually did pray, I prayed that whatever was not of the Lord would leave our campus and not come back. I prayed for God’s hand of power and for the Lord to fill that place so nothing else could fit. I prayed the way God was calling me to pray the whole time. Praying for peace while still sleeping in a room full of demons wasn’t going to cut it, I had to acknowledge the reality of the battle going on. 

As soon as I prayed against Satan I felt a significant change in the temperature of our room. I went from stifling hot to cool and refreshing. I found out the next day, from Ashley, that right before she woke me up she had felt a hot presence hovering directly over her and she had hid in her covers. The temperature change was proof to me that God was just waiting for the first signs of my faithfulness to work in our lives. He just wanted me to be faithful in one tiny thing (prayer) and he provided everything after that, including casting out demonic spirits.

When the strange clicking noise continued, even after the demon was kicked out, I knew I had the power to end that as well. I only had to be faithful to the Holy Spirit once again. I realized that being faithful does not only mean I pray as God asks me to; being faithful also means I recognize God’s ability to move and I don’t insult him by not trusting Him to move when I need Him to. So I told the Lord we needed the clicking to stop. (Side Note: The click, when I did hear it, was uncanny and not a normal creaking trailer noise. It was deliberate and loud and was hard to pinpoint in the room. It sounded like it was right next to both of us at the same time. Definitely a scare tactic of Satan.) So I told God he needed to make it stop and in that exact instant it did. We couldn’t help but praise God after that and tell everyone about how amazing He is the next day. God gets all the glory for this! Forever and always, the glory and power and honor is His.

I learned that when God asks you to pray, you pray. When you are scared or need God to move, He can and will. I need to be more faithful to God and who He is... it was only when I gave God the acknowledgment he deserved was I able to fall back asleep and was Ashley at peace. And only then was God glorified.

No comments:

Post a Comment