Mustard Seeds

Mustard Seeds

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Campo El Sol: The Sun Camp

Something about this camp lent itself to being a place of prayer and faith. (Not my faith mind you, I am still extremely surprised God did anything through me in this camp as I was feeling lazy and completely unmotivated.) The first night we were there a very insistent woman requested prayer for her entire family one by one... as well as her neighbors. We were with her family for at least a half hour hearing requests and laying our hands on people. While I was annoyed at first that she followed me more closely than my own shadow, I have to admit that her faith in prayer was amazing. She never seemed to waver in the knowledge that God will answer prayer.

Later that night I was directed to a woman who was weeping, that I might pray for her son who doesn’t know the Lord. This precious hermana, Licia, was so broken by her son’s lack of faith that hers shown brightly in contrast. I felt my lack of faith, that God could move in "El Sol," keenly as she talked with me. We both prayed in a blend of languages; English, Spanish, and Nahuatl. The moments when she broke down in her indigenous language were the most beautiful and heart-wrenching. I was so encouraged by her reliance on God and knowledge that He is the most important part of anyone’s life. I left our long conversation feeling incredibly challenged to have faith like hers. With her belief in God and heart for prayer I can’t imagine her son living in darkness much longer.

Our second night in this camp, I was blessed again with a Christian who came up to me to ask for prayer. He had brought his brother, sister-in-law, and nephews to watch the movie. He asked me if I could pray for his brother’s perpetual stomach pain and afterward stuck around to talk with me about how hard his life is in the camp. He told me there is not much light in the camp but he prays and reads his Bible all the time. I cannot imagine the faith required to serve the Lord in such a hostile environment. He still clings to God when he can’t see the outcome, when he can’t sense God moving. If that’s not faith I don’t know what is. The question is, ‘Do I have it?’

No comments:

Post a Comment