Mustard Seeds

Mustard Seeds

Friday, July 19, 2013

Significance of Rice

What does a single grain of rice mean to you? 
A bowl of rice? 
A 20 pound bag?

[To me it means an object to vacuum up, 
a rice bag to keep my toes warm in the winter, 
the potential for a wet computer to be restored to life.]

[To a impoverished person it could mean a small morsel, 
the only meal they get this week, 
a feast.]
This hit me hard tonight and has left me sleepless. Tonight my spilled water glass rendered a beloved's laptop useless. So I ran to Walmart with my sister and bought 20 pounds of rice on the off chance that it could suck out the life-killing-water. One tub, a giant bag, and a prayer (with hands laid) later and I am sitting here wondering where my heart is.

In the midst of pouring out the rice my sister made the comment that I was pouring out a "banquet of food for a Haitian." I felt my heart rip out of my chest. Here I am... sitting on my floor... trying to revive a computer... with someone's food. Food they will never see and that I take for granted as a source of technology protection.
What does that mean?

It means I take a lot of things for granted as much as I try to be missionally minded. It means I am still horridly unaware of what it means to be poor. Though I never will grasp it fully. It means I am so unbelievably blessed to have been given the life I have. It means I will now save this rice and put it to good use. It means I will not think again that I am in need. I am in want. There is a difference. Huge difference.

It means I need to be more compassionate, and aware, and prayerful. It means I need to let God move more and me less. It means I need to be giving gracias more. It means I am sad at myself. It means I get to experience grace tonight. It means I am looking at rice a whole lot differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment