Mustard Seeds

Mustard Seeds

Sunday, November 24, 2013

The Rollercoaster

Sometimes emotions sneak up on you and before you know it your eyes are welling with tears or your shiny whites are glittering through your widening smile. Sometimes emotions jump out at you and all of a sudden you either can't see through the salty torrents or you can't stop jumping up and down in excitement.

I have been having a couple months of the hit-you-like-a-load-of-bricks type of emotions. It could be a song, a picture, a taste, or even a turn of phrase that gets me. There I will be sitting and wham! I am crying. Did I mention that they are all of the sad, discontented nature of emotions? Yeah. My tear ducts are seeing a lot of action.

That is not to say that I haven't had incredibly uplifting times, or encouraging moments, or even days where I love my job and my life here. The happy is more common than the sad. But quite often I will hear a song I loved to sing in church in Mexico, or I will talk to someone in Spanish, or I will see an old picture of life in Porvenir... and the water works start, my heart hurts, and I am a basket case. It happens with memories of my family and my home in Temecula too.

Needless to say, I miss Mexico. I miss California. I miss people. I miss cool nights and small spiders. I miss Kenny's strawberries.

On the other hand, in week nine of my time here, I love the sunsets and cumulus cloud-ridden skies. The camaraderie I have found at work. The vision of teaching indigenous disciples to reach their own people with the Gospel. The produce stand by my work. The friends I have made.

If you could join me on this roller coaster, with prayer, I would appreciate it. It is worth it when you get to the loop-de-loops!

No comments:

Post a Comment